Friday, May 18, 2007

Tim Finn at Joe's Pub, NYC-5-12-07

**I posted this elsewhere, but am bringing it here for posterity....and 'cause I want to.**

I said this on one of the forums, but I'm going to repeat it here. If you ever, in your life, get the chance to see Tim Finn, especially if it's an acoustic gig, take it. See it. Seize the day. It's worth every penny you spend and every second of your time.

I couldn't have asked for a better seat, which I owe to my friend Jodi. It was so great to meet you my friend. You're just as wonderful as I thought you'd be!

Tim was literally hovering above me, mere inches from me, so close that a few times I thought I'd be sweat on (and believe me, the man can sweat!). There's nothing like craning your neck up to find one of your heroes standing there, pouring his heart out through music, manic and intimate, engaging and soulful.

Tim kicked the show off with Couldn't Be Done, a solid, rock driven number that promises to set the crowd roaring approval and followed with My Mistake, an old Split Enz number that I was very pleasantly surprised to hear. More wonderful tunes followed: Salt To the Sea, (lovingly dedicated to Paul Hester. Tim had a noticeable softeness in his voice when he said Hessies name. At least I thought so.) and other offerings from his latest solo CD "Imaginary Kingdom" including Astounding Moon, Midnight Coma, Still the Song, So Precious and Unsinkable, all performed with a measure of zeal and earnest that portrays just how much Tim believes in his latest solo effort. As well he should.

Peppered into the set were some loveable favorites. Six Months In A Leaky Boat, complete with extra whistling practice, the always beautiful Persuasion, the funky Dirty Creature, and a rather tame version of I See Red. I'd hoped for the all out manic version, but stage restrictions, time restrictions and instrumental restrictions as well only allowed for a stripped back performance. It's okay though. Accompanied by Tim's facial expressions, which range from slightly imbalanced to concentrated to profound, it was everything I could have hoped for.

The encore included a gorgeous version of Parihaka, a song which I previously have NOT counted among one of my favorites due to the album version, which I just don't like. Live and acoustic, it becomes an intensely emotional number, beautifully melodic and dulcet. This is how I wish it was on the album. It's a completely new song without all that dated 80's overproduction.

Tim ended with Poor Boy, which was my one hope for the evening, and it didn't disappoint. It's my favorite Enz song, and I couldn't have asked for a better set ender. I was completely wow'ed.

Tim's voice is spectacular live, clear and distinct, easy to listen to. Don't ever let anyone tell you that Tim has lost it, because it was clear to me Saturday night that he's FAR from losing it. He sounds as good as he ever did. Only now, he operates with a measure of maturity, confidence and naturalness that some seasoned performers lack. There's a brashness about him, too. Couple that with his gentle talent and it's a show I never want to miss.

No comments: