Friday, August 10, 2007

The World Is Somehow Different...

Well, it's 11 AM, I've just rolled out of bed after a fitful sleep, I still have music resonating in my head, and the coffee is barely doing it for me.

I swear, this getting old shit isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Last night, Crowded House treated me to my dream setlist, as follows:
(dutifully typed into the Blackberry song by song by Mr. Annie!)

There Goes God
Something So Strong which Neil SOMEHOW segued into "The Only Living Boy In New York" --freakin' amazing
Say That Again --LOVE this one live. LOVE.
Transit Lounge --like it live, it retains it's groove and Liam doing the wailing is FAR more entertaining than that woman
Walking On the Spot --a request that Neil fulfilled and I'm SO glad he did. Easily one of the most GORGEOUS versions of this song I've ever heard. What a TREAT!
Chocolate Cake
--a surprise, and a lot of fun. Neil segues this into "Born To Be Alive" and "We Are Family" He sings "I got all my brothers with me!"
People Are Like Suns --not one of my favorite album tracks, but gorgeous live, with an energy of it's own
Nobody Wants To --beautiful
Private Universe --jaw droppingly, devastatingly amazing. So much power behind this song, it was almost a religious experience
Don't Dream It's Over --Neil singing from the pit again on a crate and I'm thinking "Please don't fall Neil" as we all know he's not the most graceful person. An audience member joins in on keys and does an amazing job of it
Silent House --completely amazing again. I've fallen even more in love with the song since hearing it live

It was at this point in the show that someone yelled out a request for "Persuasion" *snort* and Neil pointed out that Mark had written a guitar part for it or something and encouraged Mark to sing the song. I'm excited now...we're getting Mark! So Mark ..or Marcus as Nick calls him...steps to the mike, strums the first chords and sings "You and I.." and stops claiming that's all he remembers. COP OUT! Neil turns to Liam and asks him if HE remembers it and Liam says that he totally ripped Persuasion off for one of his own songs, Neil encourages him to play it and he rips into an amazing acoustic of "Music Moves My Feet", accompanied by Neil.
Pour Le Monde --can't say enough about it live
Distant Sun --don't need to say anything about this one. we all know.
Weather With You --very rousing crowd sing a long, lots of fun

Encore
Locked Out --one of my favorite CH rockers, never fails to please
It's at this point that Neil tells us about his Dad and the music that he loved and listened to all his life and that he wants to play him a song. He decides he wants to call his Dad "A New York tradition" he dubs it and someone, I think it was John Walsh, dutifully dials the phone, but seems to have trouble. So Neil plays the song first, a beautiful old jazz number called "I Can't Get Started". I've heard it done by legends like Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday, but let me tell you, Neil gave them both a run for their money. He was flawless and his voice was beautiful. After, they finally get through to Richard Finn on the phone, only to get his answering machine. We all said "HI"
Four Seasons In One Day --gorgeousness personified
World Where You Live --easily the most fun song of the night, with a HUGE sing along, Neil having fun leading us

Encore 2
Don't Stop Now --I love this one live.
Fall At Your Feet --beautiful, but bittersweet as I knew this would be the last song of the night

The dynamic at the Beacon was SO different from Foxwoods because the audience was alive through the entire show. This was not a capacity crowd of so-so "hey now" fans, or a crowd that was there out of curiosity. I think it's safe to say that every person in that room was there for Crowded House and it showed in every song. We were on our feet most of the night, singing along to everything, basking in the moment, knowing this was New York's last stop for awhile so it was almost as though everyone wanted to hold on a little longer, even the band. Leaving too early would have been like breaking the spell that had been cast over us, so we all just sat back and enjoyed the magic for as long as we could. Corny, yes, but that's what it felt like.

H&P: Matt was in a t-shirt when I saw him pre-show, (he walked right up my aisle. so did Sharon!) and I'm fairly sure that's what he had on FOR the show. Mark in his usual dark suit and Nick in the same white suit from Foxwoods. Neil was in his dark suit, this time with the black sequin shirt underneath which I think is ravishing...it makes him sparkle! Hair was extremely sticky uppy.

After the show, I was standing outside and Matt walked right by me. I turned around and he was talking to a couple people, and trying to get a hold of someone on his cell. I shook his hand and thanked him for an amazing show. He thanked me back. What a doll. Pictures do him NO justice. He's tall and sweet and is simply the most approachable person I've ever met. He exudes friendliness.

Walked to the stage doors and waited a bit. Walked back and was talking with Cydsongs and some other Frenz, then walked back when the throng started to get excited. I saw Neil signing autographs and having his picture snapped, so I waited my turn, was able to shake his hand, tell him how absolutely amazing the show was, he signed my poster and smiled at me and thanked ME! Dream come true people. Dream come true. I've been waiting 20 years to shake that mans hand and the moment did not disappoint. He's so LITTLE, but so gorgeous, completely warm and approachable. I didn't feel an ounce of nervousness at all, just excitement. Alas, no picture, just a tingly hand and an autograph to relish forever!

Walked back up and Liam was sitting in the bus drivers seat with the window open, so I asked him to sign my poster as well, which he did, I told him how much I loved the CD and he thanked me. Very soft spoken, that one, and very handsome, beard and all.

Anyway, that's it.

For anyone ordering shows from Kufala, may I recommend this one? It will NOT disappoint.

And for everyone seeing CH after this, prepare yourselves. You're in for a treat.

Special thanks to cydsongs for hooking up with me, hanging out with me during Liam and skipping out on Pete Yorn with me. It was fantastic seeing you again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie...
Indeed the world is now a different place for you and those that know and love you. I am so happy for you that after 20 years, your dream has come true. Thank you for sharing it with me.
Love you...
deb

Anonymous said...

Simply brilliant post. I was at the show both nights at The Beacon. Like you i have wanted to see CH for years, but never had , although I had seen Neil Finn and the Finns. Loved your review so much that I posted it to a Van Morrison fan list (over 1500 members). There is a striking similarity between your expressions of joy at finally seeing a band you love and those that see Van Morriosn for the first time. Give him a REAL listen, he is much more than Brown Eyed Girl and Gloria. Go buy Into the Music and or No Guru No Mehtod, No teacher. He is a vocal stylist and musician without comparison in my opinion

Brian